Tuesday, November 11, 2014

#THISisESN

ESN Jyväskylä is currently recruiting a new board and active members for the year 2015. The open call has been launched and can be found on our website. The open call lists a number of reasons to join us, but in addition to those cool career moves and new skills, I really want to share with you some of the reasons that come from our hearts. I just got back from the most amazing ESN weekend in Stockholm and am full of motivation and love for this organisation and the people in it, so I can't think of a better time to write this.

Some of ESN Jyväskylä in the Jyväskylä harbour in September 2014

We often get asked why we do this, why would we spend so much of our time doing volunteer work when "we get nothing out of it", but of course we do. We love this. We love ESN. And we hope you do too.

If you know any of us, you've probably heard our stories several times. We're not exactly afraid to declare our love for ESN. But most often you hear our stories in a more or less official environment (even though if you know anything about us, you know we're never really quite that official). And it's never from almost all of us at the same time. This is why I asked some of our amazing board members to simply tell me (and you) why they love ESN and why is it that they do this. Here's what they told me.


The best thing about ESN is that the international family that surrounds you fills you up with energy, feeds your mind with ideas, pushes you to do greater things time after time and gives the feeling of importance that we all, deep in inside, crave for. ESN <3

I love ESN because you have always something cool to do and you meet so much wonderful people. It's a lifestyle, not a duty. Life is what you make it, so make it beautiful. ;)

Once you become part of ESN, you'll never be able to leave, not that you would want to! It's a wonderful journey with great people all around Europe and amazing experiences along the way.


So many of the amazing and wonderful things that have happened to me during the last couple of years have happened thanks to ESN. This includes everything between developing professional skills, that helped me to get a great job, to the unforgettable nights out with the friends I have made through ESN.


ESN is not an organization its like a Family where you have really nice and wonderful people to work with and spend amazing memorable time and you get the opportunity to execute what ever comes in your mind.

ESN is also a way to help organize things you love to do and spread the word to other people! You can come with your own ideas and see them become real ones! In ESN you are heard!

ESN is a great place to make new friends, meet new people, get active and to make your craziest and most creative ideas to come true! It is a place where you can develop your skills, practice languages and learn more about different cultures. Its more than a board - it is a family!

What about me then? Ever since my own Erasmus exchange a few years ago, my world has not been the same. It has been so much better for it. I never even dreamed of having and doing something that I would love as much as this. I pour my heart and soul into ESN, because I want you to feel it too. You will never be the same again. Through ESN, I have learned so much and made friends for a lifetime. I've been able to keep up the Erasmus lifestyle and attitude for years after my own exchange. You know that indescribable feeling of belonging you get while abroad with your Erasmus friends? You get that in ESN as well, and I wouldn't give that up for anything. Even on the worst of days, going back to my amazing ESN family always makes me feel better. Like home.

This is only a fraction of the love that we share for this organisation. We are thousands and thousands of students all over Europe, who all feel the same. Being in ESN will change you. So what are you waiting for? We are waiting for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment